Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Season of Becoming

written by Sarah Moubray


In this first month of being a fellows family together, a variety of rhythms have been working their way into our lives. Grace, laughter, love, prayer, rain, long nights, early mornings, community, the list could go on and on. In this time of transition, it has become so easy for me to get caught up in checking off items on my daily to-do list or going from one thing straight into the next. And although daily to-do lists are a great and much needed rhythm of my life, it is not what life is about. And although planning ahead and being prepared are also much needed rhythms in my life, they are not necessarily what life is about either. I started to get lost in all of the busyness of my everyday schedule and then I blinked. I blinked and the first month of our fellows program had already passed.

It’s probably hard to imagine this month seeming to fly by considering we did a million and one things in the past four weeks. From the mountains of Virginia, to Billy Graham’s library in Charlotte, to the Christian Community Development Association conference in Raleigh, to family dinners and soccer sundays and Monday morning prayer and church and ministry and work and class and everything in between, this month flew by in a way I never expected it could. But instead of getting lost in the chaos, I came across a quote from one of my favorite authors, Shauna Niequest, that is a perfect description of what these 9 months should be: “There is a season for wildness and a season for settledness, and this is neither. This season is about becoming.” That’s exactly what this season is for me. A season of becoming. Becoming who I am in Christ. Becoming a person who walks in Truth. Becoming someone who never stops pursuing Jesus. Letting God bring me in to the person He designed for me to become.

This new rhythm of becoming is something I want to focus on over these next 9 months. The last bits of a hot summer have now faded into the bright and brisk and beautiful season of fall and soon there will be a season of freezing cold and little red noses and frosty windows. Each of these seasons has distinct characteristics that set them apart from one another. I want this season of life to be set apart by simply becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment