Monday, October 28, 2013

Molly's Musings

As the program continues to be a whirlwind of internships, friendships, papers, volunteering, and lots and lots of prayer, I continue to arrive at the same conclusion week after week: this program is pure bliss. We are continuously challenged emotionally, spiritually, and physically and continue to grow more than we ever imagined. Each week I learn something new about myself and each week my heart grows a little more for this wonderful city and the people here.

One of my favorite parts of the program has been our time spent at the Center for Creative Leadership. Every Thursday, we spend 2 hours in a leadership class where we focus on developing professionally by taking a deeper look at our personalities, strengths, weaknesses, and leadership skills. I have not only learned so much about myself through this course, but also my new family/fellows. This past week, we spent the entire class focusing on our dreams to develop personal goals for the year. We were challenged to follow the SMART model for developing goals: specific, measurable  attainable, relevant, and time-bound. While I often think about my goals and dreams, I have never sat down with a professional and built upon them to develop a goal to be accomplished. The most important part of this development process for me was that my goal was required to be time-bound, meaning that I needed to state a specific date that my goal was to be fully accomplished. This part of the model challenged all of us to nail our goal down to a date which encouraged us to get to moving on our dreams. We spent time on our own praying and thinking about each of our potential goals before gathering back together and sharing the goals with each other. Our goals ranged from becoming involved at a career center (my own), to becoming more fit with P90X. Whatever each of our goals were, they were all unique, inspiring, and challenging. Sharing our goals with each other not only allowed us to see a little more of each other’s hearts, but also to have the entire group brainstorm with us and hold us accountable to accomplishing our goals. We then chose accountability partners and spent time with them discussing the specifics of our goal and how we could support one another in accomplishing it. I not only felt a little closer to the fellows after leaving, but I think we all felt a little more inspired.

Feeling a little more inspired actually sums up most of our time spent here in Greensboro. The Fellows Program (shout out to THE Tripp Graziano) is very intentional and purposeful about providing opportunities for us to constantly grow. Whether it is attending classes at the Center for Creative Leadership, business seminars with successful Christian business owners, getting to know amazing people through our Tuesday family dinners, spending time in the Word together, or just sharing our hearts with one another…we are given opportunities every day to be challenged, to grow, to learn, and to be inspired.  It’s unbelievable to think that we are already 7 weeks into the program and I cannot wait to see what God has in store for us in the next 7 months.

P.S. I want to say thank YOU to the wonderful community in Greensboro. I have never felt so loved and at home in such a short period of time. Your support, prayers, and encouragement are part of what makes this experience so amazing for all of us. We appreciate YOU!

Thanks, Molly, for the wonderful post!
(seen front row, third from the left!)

No comments:

Post a Comment