Monday, April 10, 2017

Growth

By Buddy Hocutt

            In a word, the principle function of the Greensboro Fellows Program is growth. The entire program is structured in a way that fosters growth in a variety of forms: spiritually, professionally, mentally, emotionally, relationally, etc. Internships play a part in that, as do volunteer hours, seminary courses, host homes, mentors, morning prayer, Tuesday dinner, Sunday worship, trips, retreats, and Rwanda.

            That's a lot of stuff to fit into a nine-month program. Each piece functions differently and all to varying degrees of success. They do work in concert, though, because of the one common denominator between them: people. More than anything, the goal of the Greensboro Fellows Program staff is to surround the Greensboro Fellows with the best folks out there; folks who have reached the pinnacle of their profession; folks who have changed the world; folks who have great wisdom; and folks who have made mistakes, learned from them, and prospered.

            I am not one of those people. Granted, my business card does say “Greensboro Fellows Assistant Director...” but that's a bit of a misnomer. Anything remotely related to the word “director” assumes a knowledge and wisdom that I'm not sure I have. It also assumes experience and a certain authority that know I don't have. Yet, somehow, I finagled my way into the position of Assistant Director of the Greensboro Fellows Program and here we are.

            Less than a year ago, mind you, I was a Greensboro Fellows myself, having my mind blown by the wisdom of those best folks out there. How then, and with what, am I supposed to lead a new group of Fellows barely 12 months later? I wish I could say I had some epiphany or that the Holy Spirit spoke through me, but I don't think that's the case (although someone else would be a better judge of that).

            The real answer is that I've been building the plane as I fly and learning a lot of lessons along the way. Ironically enough, the most important of those lessons have come from the very people I (as an “assistant director”) was supposed to be teaching – the Greensboro Fellows, themselves!

            From Tony, I've learned what it means to truly see others as created in God's image.
            From Michelle, I've learned what resiliency looks like in the face of grief.
            From Tressa, I've learned how to take the fullest advantage of the opportunities presented to me.
            From MT, I've learned how to lay my burdens at the cross when the world's pressures mount.
            From Rachel, I've learned to not be satisfied with easy answers.
            From Tom, I've learned to make the best of any situation and always persevere.
            And from Joey, I've learned how to fight against darkness and continue running toward the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment