Saturday, February 22, 2014

Growing Deep Roots

written by Libby Hase

When I moved back to Greensboro this past fall after five years of being away for college and work, I was craving community. However, after being away for so long, I felt like I didn’t know my own community back in Greensboro.

But the Greensboro Fellows has changed that. Being in this program has helped me reconnect with the city I grew up in. And I am so thankful for that. I am learning just how awesome Greensboro really is. I am learning new things about what is going on in Greensboro. God is really doing some great things through some great people here.

One of my favorite parts of our program is the speakers who come in to talk to us on Thursdays. Various business owners and otherwise generally fascinating people who live in Greensboro come to talk to us about their life stories, their careers, and how God has journeyed with them through it all. I have been so thankful for this because I feel truly blessed that these people are sacrificing their time and energy to come talk to us. Every Thursday I feel like a sponge, happily, eagerly soaking up the wisdom of the unique men and women who speak.

Charlie and Ruth Jones came to talk to us one Thursday. Their passion for community really resonated with me. For the past 6 years, they have been fostering community in Greensboro and have set up a monthly dinner called Greensboro Grub. The idea of Greensboro Grub is to have people from all classes and backgrounds eating at the same table together and sharing life and love with one another. They had a theatre group called Peculiar People for a while and now they have started a nonprofit called City616 to bring community and a sense of belonging to the people of Greensboro. They are currently in a state of expansion and are planning to use their space downtown to house interns, teach theatre classes, have a community-building coffee shop, among other things. I am encouraged and inspired by Charlie and Ruth Jones’ initiatives.


Greensboro Grub
God is bringing amazing people into my life through the Fellows program and I am excited to learn more about what God will do through the people of Greensboro.

“With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.” –Ephesians 4:2-6

That there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.” -1 Corinthians 12: 25-27


“Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” –Romans 15:7

No comments:

Post a Comment